Berlin State Association of the green party
We are the Berlin State Association of the green party (Bündnis 90/Die Grünen). Our members come from a variety of backgrounds but share a common vision: to transform Berlin into a sustainable city with an even higher standard of living for everybody. Together, we debate and develop political positions, we run election campaigns, and we provide the personnel for public offices and mandates.
We are committed to improving ecological mobility and the protection of our climate, to equality of opportunities, sound education and care, fair wages and rents, and to clean parks and clean air. However, we also campaign against poverty and marginalisation, hate and incitement, and against barriers and discrimination. We want a diverse, open and inclusive society in which everyone has the same rights and the same opportunities, allowing them to participate equally and autonomously in society – regardless of ethnic origin, skin colour, sexual or gender identity, religion, age or disabilities.
We are committed to this at all political levels:
- Our 32 elected members in the Berlin House of Representatives represent our stance in the Berlin state parliament, thus helping to determine the political course in the city.
- Since the 2016 state elections, we have governed the city along with the SPD and the Left Party. In the Senate (the Berlin government), we appoint the Mayor and Senator for the Environment, Urban Mobility, Consumer Protection and Climate Action, the Senator for Science, Social Affairs and Health, and the Senator for Finance since 2021.
- In the German parliament, the Bundestag, we are represented by seven MPs from Berlin.
- Each of Berlin's twelve districts includes a Green district association and a district parliamentary group, while in Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf, Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg, Mitte, Steglitz-Zehlendorf and Tempelhof-Schöneberg there are Green mayors, and in many others, there are Green city councillors. You can also participate directly and actively in the local district associations and local working groups.
- Each member can participate in our theme-based regional working groups and contribute their own stances and experience. In terms of content, therefore, the regional working groups form the backbone of the party.
Would you like to get involved? Then our district associations, our state working groups or the Green Youth Berlin would love to hear from you! Are you interested in our current positions and publications? Then our press office is ready and waiting. Do you have any further questions or comments? If so, you can find your contact person at our state headquarters.
We’re also available for you offline: by telephone on 030 615 005 0, or by email on info@. gruene-berlin.de
Susanne Mertens and Philmon Ghirmai